I have a somewhat endearing (at least in my eyes) habit. I collect crafts. I love ALL things crafty and really do not have enough free time to complete all the projects I would like to. I am trying to be a more financially responsible crafter in 2015 so I have committed to not starting any new projects and actually finishing the ones I have begun. (this has sort of worked…I cannot tell a lie–I have bought some more scrapbooking items, but really, they are for ALL ongoing scrapbook projects so that doesn’t count!)
I have made a list so hopefully by December I can cross off some more completed projects (leaving time for me to start various new projects)
- T-Shirt quilt–this was started when I was pregnant, recently brought out again at my Mum’s house. Status: needs backing, and binding
- My bridal shower quilt. Guests all brought purple fabric and I am going to make a lap quilt out of this. Status: pattern bought, squares have been cut out, need to assemble the top, then purchase fabric for the back and binding
- Garret’s hat…I started knitting this after finishing one in February. Currently the ribbing and half of the hat has been knit. Need to get back at this…current status: on needles in a bag at work
- Cross stitch for a friend. Found an adorable pattern several years ago that I started making on a whim for a friend. Got put away in cupboard and forgotten about. Status: needs outline stitching then is complete….could do in a night!
- 2014 Project Life album. Status: nearly complete. Have sticky notes in it currently re what photos and notes need to be added to be completed. Again, could do this in an evening
- 2015 Project Life album. This will be ongoing as it is every year. Currently 3 months behind. Recently had some photos printed so I just need to spend some time playing with it.
- Zoë’s baby book….ok ok, this might be a little behind. This is to highlight her first year and milestones and yeah she may be turning two in 4 months but I still have time to finish this in a timely manner….preferably before I have another baby…so lots of time! Status: have notes on what pics to print and where things are that must be included…again just need to spend some time on it
- Wedding album…well we are coming up to our third anniversary this fall, might be a good time to start and or dream of finishing something like that.
- I haven’t started my 2015 Week in the Life project (taking place this year in August) but that will have to be tacked on once that starts!
I think that there are likely 5-7 other ones I am forgetting…this list seems doable! ish.
I was thinking today about how much memory keeping is something that has become a habit for me. Something that I like to do and it obviously shows through a lot of my interests: I love to journal and blog,write letters, take photos, scrapbook, instagram etc It is something I have always done. I while back I found a pile of old journals at my Mum’s place and it was interesting to remember some of what I did when I was a lot younger (PS…I was boy crazy at 13 yikes)
It is interesting to me because I feel like if someone asked me what my life was like I would probably describe it as being relatively average, but when I look through my instagram feed or my blog archive I love being able to see all those moments that stand out. The silly, crazy, funny,heartwarming ones that make me realize that my life is more than just average. It is extraordinary. I am working on a new Scrapbooking album called Project Life and it is all about highlighting those special moments and even those mundane once that make your life yours. There is always the bad stuff that happens, but for right now I have a husband who is so darn handsome I can barely stand it, a wonderful and supportive family/extended family, a beautiful healthy sweet baby nephew, a puppy who already makes me nuts but I couldn’t live without (*see recent vet bill #barf), hilarious and creative friends and a beautiful house that we are making a home (and about a billion other things but let’s keep the list to the essentials) Really cheesy today not sure where this is coming from… but I feel like that little girl in the commercial “I love my hair, I love my Mum, I love my life” It really is great to have hobbies that bring me so much joy as I do them, and can remind me when I search the archives how far we have come.
I finished my first knitting craft project (hurrah!) I gave it to Nanny early because she needed a hat and I needed to see if it would fit her. It did and she loves it…mostly loves it just because I made it, but I think the colors are really fun and look great with her black coat.
The Nanster modeling this season’s newest trend: handmade multi-coloured hats….get them now while you still can
My goal of another hat and infinity scarf are slightly behind schedule. My main knitting time has been lunch hour at work and I have forgotten it at home Mon-Wed this week. I know what I am doing now so I could technically work on it at home, however I know that Brooklyn will be very interested in wool. I was trying to scrapbook last night and she was very contentedly sitting with Garret until I started doing something and she wanted to “help” I now have teeth marks in my Breaking Dawn ticket stub I was trying to glue down. Perhaps she is a puppy crafter like her mumma?
My plan is to try to get on top of the knitting in the next few weeks and see how it goes. I dont want to rush it because nothing is more frustrating than realizing you have messed up a row of knitting and you have to undo a bunch…I am speaking from experience as I had to do that with both the hat and the scarf. In the meantime craft wise I have a December daily scrapbook project I am working on and I am DYING to get my quilt started. One thing at a time right? My usual modus operandi is to have 15 different crafts on the go at one time and then inevitably none of them get finished in a timely manner. My Mum and I just finished a baby quilt for one of our God daughters that took a good 6 months from when she was born. So tack on the 9 months Erin was pregnant and I knew a baby was coming….that’s a lot of lead time!
The hat project is going pretty well. I should be done tomorrow and it will have taken me a week. (Minus the weekend as I didn’t work it) My crafts for Christmas project is going pretty well so far. My goal is to do two hats and a scarf before Christmas(I like how I’ve increased my goal!) …not that they will necessarily be gifts but it’s good to have a time goal in mind. Plus lunch breaks get boring some days so now I have a fun project! I’ve decided to put the quilting on hold until I am at my mums for Christmas…more room for my sewing machine!
When we first moved in, we heard from
some neighbours that the lady who owned the house before the people we bought it from was lots of fun (ok that seemed complicated–hope we didn’t lose anyone) She used to throw a party every year in the mega back yard and have neighbours over for a Pot luck BBQ. I loved that idea and G and I decided to bring it back! We are going to do this mid September and have a bocce ball/ horseshoe tournament/meet the new neighbours BBQ. Mum and I were feeling crafty the other weekend so we made some invitations:
This weekend I am going to add the where and when details and drop them off to the neighbours! We’ve met a few of them already but I’m looking forward to having them over to hang out in our backyard. Am just debating if I should buy Garret a kiss the cook/ grill master apron as he will be manning the grill.